Friday, June 27, 2008

Since I have returned from Haiti, my view of things has changed. I am much more appreciative of my normal life. Of a clean, soft bed, a warm shower, safe drinking water. I am more grateful for my job, in a clean, safe hospital with supplies that are sterile for every user. In Haiti, the nurse in the clinic we visited had one IV needle that she resterilized each time she used it. Every time I start an IV, I think of her and wish I could supply her with a whole box full.
I love my job, it is so busy and hectic now at the new IMC hospital, before, I was a little frustrated at the changes, but I have accepted them as the new normal. I had a great day at work yesterday, a beautiful natural birth with a supportive midwife and a darling couple with their first baby. Birth is such a miracle, and I love to be part of that miracle every time I go to work.
Kindness and respect are such an important part of life. I had a couple later in the day, who were scheduled for an induction, and were told we could not get them in because we were so busy, they were upset, angry and felt like we didn't care. Her water broke an hour later and they came in. When I first went in the room, they were still angry. But with some kindness and respect for their feelings, and a listening ear, just 10 minutes later, they felt understood, happy and glad to be at our hospital. Time and time again I see how a little kindness really changes people for the better.
I am glad I became a nurse, it has added a dimension to my life that I really enjoy. I love to help others and to make a difference to one, makes the world a better place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so great that you have such a positive attitude toward IMC, even if it is a BIT busy. :) You are a wonderful person and nurse, and I'm glad your my mom!

Jody Neeley said...

Nursing really is such a good profession, and I am glad that I am one too. Somedays it can be pretty crazy; but it is so worth being able to help someone in need! You are a great nurse, and an even better mom, love you!

Connie said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog and your girl's blog's. I cannot believe how fast time has passed by! It seems like just yesterday when we were raising our children and going a little crazy! I am so grateful you were always there for me. I have enjoyed our many years of friendship. your trip to Haiti sounds amazing. I wish I could have joined all of you for pedicure to hear more about it. I even read the book and was ready to discuss it! I am anxious for book club in the Fall to catch up with everyone. I am leaving for Vietnam tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your blog! It was fun to see and read!
Love,
Connie