Friday, June 12, 2009
College Fjord
The glaciers in College Fjord were named by a group of scientists led by Edward Harriman in 1899, they named the different glaciers after schools they were affiliated with.
This is Harvard Glacier, this is what it looked like when we braved the early morning 6:00 am and I don't know what the temp was, but it was cold. I can't describe the wonder I had at the beauty, the vastness of it all. I felt awed to be there and was fascinated by the icebergs and mountains.
Yes, that bundled person with me is actually Carla somewhere in there.
I love the reflections, the ice, the wonder of it all.
A sea otter out for a ride on an iceberg,
I was fascinated by the different colors and shapes of the icebergs. Blue ice is ice so compacted there is no air in it. The black comes from the mud and rocks the glacier picks up as it moves down the valley.
Only about 1/3 of an iceberg is above the surface, the largest part is under the water.
You can see the dark under water part in this pic.
Bryn Mawr Glacier, my personal favorite.
I stayed outside a couple of hours, the sun started to rise, It was so beautiful!! A lot of people came out and looked and then went into the warmth of the ship, Rick and I stayed out taking pictures, oh, maybe a few hundred.
Bryn Mawr again, I love the reflection in the ocean in this picture. I was so intrigued I didn't really notice the cold.
I love the different colors of the mountains in this one, just imagine being able to see all of these pictures just by turning your head and looking. Even though they are beautiful, nothing compares with being there and feeling the peace and quiet all around. People were quiet too, we were all under the spell of Alaska.
Breakfast, especially hot chocolate warmed us up again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, your pics of the glaciers are breathtaking, I can't imagine being able to see them in person, they must be amazing!!! I would have braved the cold too!
I love these pics! i'm glad you stayed in the cold to get the pics, they are so cool!
I love the picture of you and Carla. The colors are awesome...My Florida bones would be freezing! I'd probably be even more bundled up than she is.
Post a Comment