Thursday, June 18, 2009

Juneau--Whale Watch

We went Whale watching out of Juneau in Auke Bay, I was so excited to go see the whales. From all I read Juneau is the place to whale watch from. I even decided to get my new camera mostly because of whales. Other whale watches we have taken, we have been frustrated to find that when you see the whale and take a picture, the delay on digital cameras causes you to miss the picture you want most, so I was anxious to see if it would do what I wanted it to.

We saw this eagle fighting this other bird for possession of the tower, it was pretty funny to watch.
The very first whale I saw was a fluke or a tail and I was so surprised to see one so soon I wondered if I was imagining it. But no, soon after we saw it spout, and the fun began.

I won't bore you with the over 100 pics I took of whales, but this series was the best!!!!






I cut out about 8 pics in the middle, but my camera is awesome. I love it. It was so amazing to be so close to these big mammals. All in all I think we saw 7-8 different whales. I stood outside on the deck most of the time. Rick stood on one side and I stood on the other. I haven't seen his pictures yet.

The beautiful mountains.

One of the last pics I got before we headed back. This was the highlight of my trip!!!

A lighthouse out in the bay.

We went back to the ship for lunch, this was the view of Juneau from the deck of the ship.
So happy I got my whale pics!!!
In the afternoon we took a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier, we could walk pretty close to it.

Brian holding an iceberg. We didn't see any calving or glacier pieces falling into the ocean. But that was ok, you can't see everything in one amazing trip.

We did a little shopping in Juneau, we spent from 7:00 am until 1100pm there, it sure was a fun day.

4 comments:

Jody Neeley said...

Your whale shots are amazing! I bet that was so neat to see! The kids were by me when I was looking at them and were pretty excited thinking that you were that close to a whale!

Dusty And Mandi said...

Your pics turned out great! I'm glad you got to see the whales fluke

The Tripletts said...

Wow!! I'm so glad that you got to see some whales. That last photo you took of the tail looks as if it is waving goodbye

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these pics! i'm so happy you got to see your whales!