Saturday, June 27, 2009

Skagway and the White Pass and Yukon Railroad

The first sight we had of Skagway as we sailed into Port. It is so immense in Alaska, so pure and serene ahhh-I miss it.

Brian, ready to dock and set out on our adventures for the day.

The pretty little port, the cruise ship didn't really fit though--I liked the little boats.

We took this picture as we walked to town, I thought we would ride on this train, our was a little more modern, but I like this picture.

Shopping for souvenirs

We found some good buys and had fun collecting free charms from every port for our charm bracelets.


Bri, posing by a snow blower hooked to the engine.
Here we are, ready for our trip up the White Pass.

Immediately, we spot the beautiful mountains in the distance. I was so excited it was a clear day and we would be able to see around us.

Rick in the favorite picture taking place between cars, otherwise you got a glare from the window.

I thought this conductor was so cute, Brian wasn't even jealous--wonder why????

There were so many waterfalls, I couldn't count them all, it was hard to get a good picture speeding right by them. But this one turned out well. I think on our whole trip we saw amazing waterfalls because it was spring and there was a lot of runoff. I love the way the sun glints off the rocks, it was really bright in person.

I love the clickety-clack as the train goes over the tracks--here we go into the tunnel!!!
An old trestle that is now used by bears and wolves, when I asked the ranger if bears really do use it, she assured me they do. I guess it is a lot faster way for them to cross than going all the way down and then up again.
The snow was really deep up by the summit--I wonder how deep it gets in the winter, too deep for the train to go up there for sure.


The boarder of Canada and the United States, they have a little guard station there. I wonder if they really have any border problem here. The little trees have a struggle growing near the summit.

The train rounds a corner with the sun shining on the mountains

Almost back to town, a fond view of the mountains as we get near the end of our ride.
It was warm enough to sit outside on the deck and enjoy an ice cream cone as we leave Skagway.


The beautiful view as we sailed away from Skagway, I love the Mountains!!
The cute little animal on our bed that night

2 comments:

Dusty And Mandi said...

It's so gorgeous there!

Anonymous said...

i love the pics! especially the train ones. so cool! and that is crazy the bears use that to cross, makes sense though. :)