I was cold again today, I cannot wait for winter to get over, I started thinking about times I had been too hot. Trying to tell myself to enjoy the cold. I remembered the year, Carla, Rick and our families went to Escalante and hiked into Calf Creek. I think it must have been in June.
The hike started out pretty good, I don't remember how far it was, maybe a couple of miles to Calf Creek.
But it was a very warm day, before too long, we were all hot and huddling into any shade we could find for a little break.
By the time we made it, we were so hot, the girls came prepared to go swimming, I wished I had--the water felt so good.
It was a beautiful waterfall into the pool.
Everyone was so glad to cool off.

Brian caught a water snake...of course the kids loved it too.

All too soon we had to hike back, I know we spent at least a couple of hours at the pool
Brian, JR or Rick would gather our bandanas and hike down to the creek off the side of the trail and soak them in the water, then we would put them on our heads or necks to cool us down as we hike. Carla was carrying Cubby Bear, her dog. The sand trail was so hot it burned his paws and he couldn't walk.
I know I had some heat stroke that day, my hands were tingling and I was dizzy, we ran out of water to drink on the way back. This is the hottest I ever remember being. So I must be glad I'm not that hot right now.....hmmmm, maybe I would go back to hot for 1/2 hour or so.
4 comments:
I also remember that being the hottest I have ever been! It seemed like there was shade only every 30 min or so, and not very much! I remember the water at the waterfall being really cold though. I also remember going ahead with Jenny and Kelli to hurry and get done on the way back, we had 1 water bottle we shared and as I went to pour it into my mouth the cap was not screwed on tight and I poured it all down my front, we were all freaking out! I felt so bad, but luckily we were almost to the end! I wonder how hot it was I swear it was like 150 degrees, at least thats what it felt like!
I remember that! I thought sitting on the log at the waterfall was so much fun. And I remember being super hot too! I remember the water soaked bandanas, I thought you guys were so smart to think of that!
totally remember this trip! of course how could i not, we almost died of heat exaustion! lol. it was like reaching heaven to get to the waterfall!
lol....just like stef said about the water on the way back....i'm pretty sure kelli and i were going to kill her after she dumped the whole thing on her! lol...so fun to see these pics!
ps...you better not post pics of me with my ugly glasses....jk. :)
Oh, I also remember this trip all too well! It was the first, and only time I got blisters all along my back from a sunburn, and I swear it was August when we went - we must of been crazy!!! I also remember it as one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Good times. Keep posting the old pics, they are so much fun to see!
Post a Comment