Just off the ship and ready for a day of fun in the sun!
I love the color of this ocean!
Christiansted, St Croix
I don't know what they call these guys on stilts, but they were fun to watch.
We drove out to a little village in buses, and had a few minutes to shop before we boarded our boat to go snokeling.
I was the lucky pirate to catch a mermaid.
The dock where we departed from.
We bought some water from a guy in a bar and were drinking it, when we noticed others looking into the water just off the dock.
We walked over to check it out and saw these tarpin swimming around, Dad sure wished he had a rod to cast in and catch one.
Big Beard's adventure was the name of the outfit we went out with, and the owner, had a big white beard, too bad we didn't take his picture.
Buck Island, one of the best snorkeling places around.
The sand was soft, powdery and warm!
We stopped on the east side of the island where the current is calmer to practice. I was glad, the first 3 times I tried to breath through my snorkle, I inhaled sea water, the guide looked at the valve and said "Oh you have some sand in here, see that?" Of course I couldn't see it, but after that it worked fine.
The first pic with the sign is an underwater trail you can follow, it tells you what things are on the bottom. We didn't really follow it, just tried swimming around, trying not to touch anything. That's me swimming .
Brian had the camera and did a great job taking pics, I was pretty nervous, so I swam a lot and got tired, then I found Brian again, and he showed me how to float and relax more.
It was pretty amazing to see everything on the reef.
This is one of our guides, some others dived down, but neither of us tried it.
I was so excited to see all the different colors of fish.
This kind of spotted one with red was interesting.
If you click on this to enlarge it, you can see the yellow and black striped ones better.
If you touch the coral it will die, sometimes it is hard when you are drifting around, I got caught inside a circle of coral and had kind of a hard time getting out of it, but I finally did, they tell you not to raise your head out of the water, to watch where you are going. It was not easy.
This is brain coral, you can see why they call it that by looking at the markings on it.
The fish above is a parrot fish, they look like they have teeth. It is funny to watch them eating the plants.
The most fun we had was watching this school of blue angelfish, it was so amazing to have them swimming all around us.
They swim in a school, eating, weaving around corals, so graceful and beautiful.
In the upper right is a barcuda, the long one, and again in front of the brain coral in the one below. That was exciting to see one, I think we were the only ones on the boat to see one. Someone saw a shark, but we didn't. I'm kind of glad about that.
Too soon they sounded the boat horn and we had to go back, we were the last two out there, I guess a lot of people didn't stay out long. The current was kind of strong. I'm glad we took all the time. Who knows when we will be here again.
Taking off the fins to get back on board.
Goodbye Buck Island--it was amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment