Saturday, February 6, 2010

Joshua Tree National Park

I was excited to go to Joshua Tree National Park, Brian gave me a book about National Parks and got me on a quest to go to as many as I can. So when we planned this trip and there was a National Park nearby, of course we needed to go.
I wrote down the name of this tree, and then threw the paper away, it is chinella or something like that. Anyway this tree is dormant most of the year, however everytime it gets a good rain,within 3 days the leaves start to grow. Then a couple of days later the flowers appear. It rained the week before we were there, so we were lucky to see the blooms. It does this about five times a year.

They are pretty big.

These are cholla, the forest of them made me feel like I was walking in an alien land, they are dangerous to hold, but of course Brian picked one up. We commented we were glad Brett wasn't with us, he would have gotten covered with thorns.


At every stop the entire landscape changes, it is a very cool place.
We did a little rock climbing--not the professional kind.



The trail head was for the "Great Arch", it was a cool arch, but we could tell those that named it had never been to Arches!!
We found this little arch further down the trail. It was fun to hike through them.

This is a Joshua Tree, this one is called the "Tree of Life", all kinds of little animals live in it.

I love the contrast of green and red, this one had fallen down, in the center it looks like a giant spider.
When I read about visiting this National Park, it was recommended to visit so you could be there for the sunset. As we waited for it, wondering if the clouds would obscure the sun, we had no idea how amazing it was going to be.
Brian happened to turn around and catch this glimpse of the moon. I'm glad we got a picture.
The sunset was so spectacular, I know I included quite a few pictures here, I think I actually took 72, so feel lucky I didn't post them all.


Another couple from Wisconsin stopped and joined in the picture taking, she was as excited as I was and we had fun exclaiming "This is amazing, oh look at that." Even though the pictures are wonderful, it is nothing compared to being there with all this color all around.



I don't remember sunsets anywhere with so much color, Brian loves the blues and purples.

I do have to say--this is natural color, I didn't use any filters or anything.


Brian took these last two pictures with our old camera. It was an amazing day, a couple of very happy photographers. We ended the day at Subway enjoying our favorite fast food.

4 comments:

Dusty And Mandi said...

Gorgeous pictures! It was fun to look at all the different kinds of trees.

The Tripletts said...

I loved! Loved the sunset photos! I want to go there one day. I have always loved travel!

Anonymous said...

i totally want to go there some day, i love the joshua trees! you got some great sunset pics!

Delahunty Family said...

Wow I love the sunset pictures I can't imagine what it would really be like because the real thing is always better, but the pictures are amazing!